Sunday, October 03, 2004

Very clever, I don't think

Well, I've managed to struggle through a few settings now. I was ready to come back here really annoyed because as soon as I found the time zone setting and fixed it, my first post was suddenly being done tomorrow morning.

Then I discovered I could actually edit existing posts. *tries not to look embarrassed*

Still slightly annoyed by a couple of things. Firstly, that everything assumes I'm in America. How is it that one country manages to own almost the entire internet? Even the fact that American websites always end in ".com", never ".com.us" or something. Everybody else has to specify the country, but America is apparently the centre of the known universe.

Don't even get me started on the 'World Series'...

The other annoying thing was my birthday. I put in the day and month (sorry, that was in fact month and day, seeing that is how Americans do it), went and viewed my profile expecting that everyone would be able to wish me a happy birthday, and what does it show? My star sign!!

I will not be having any truck with star signs in this blog, thank you very much. If you want to wish me a happy birthday, you can do it in late January. But if anyone starts expressing their views on whether or not I am a typical Aquarian, they'll be out on their ear before they can say "it's amazing how accurate astrology is sometimes..."

Of course, there's that time when someone asked me my star sign, I said "I don't believe in that kind of thing", and she looked at me thoughtfully and said "you're an Aquarian, aren't you". Not a question, a statement. That one kind of threw me.

It occurred to me once that the star sign notions may have developed out of some observations about people born in certain seasons. That actually might make some sense - that being born at certain times of year might somehow exert an influence on one's behaviour. Of course, that would only work for the Northern Hemisphere - here in Australia we should all be back to front. Who knows, maybe we are!

Okay, that's enough rambling for one post. I see I've gone from computer settings to debating whether a hot sunny week or two might have changed the course of my entire existence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home