Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Thrill 4-17: Single {Goodbye Pisces}

Somewhere, in a parallel universe - or maybe just another part of the planet I'm sadly unaware of - Tori Amos has always featured prominently on the airwaves.

Around here, though, she's pretty well completely absent from commercial radio. I say 'pretty well' because I realised recently that the opening bars of the remix of Professional Widow form the background music to traffic reports on the most popular local station.

Years ago I was convinced that Jackie's Strength was the song that would give her true mainstream (albeit modest) success. It didn't. I've pretty much given up hope of her making inroads in Australia now unless she has a monster hit in the USA first. And I don't really think that will happen. But by golly, if she keeps writing songs like Goodbye Pisces she at least has a shot.

Musically, the song couldn't be any smoother. An obscenely short but sparkling verse gives way to an even more obscenely singable chorus. The 'Chinese' effect (something Tori is evidently aware of, given how frequently she is pairing this song with China) is cute enough to be noticed without being overbearing. I really like the guitar riff as well.

The lyrics are simple - at least by Tori standards - without being trite. There aren't any wince-making metaphors like the ones I'm still getting over in Cars and Guitars. I love phrases like "is that all I am, just a doll you got used to?" and "if it could freeze my heart wouldn't float away".

You know you're doing well when amazon.com says you've written one of the better break-up songs in recent memory. The ache of being back on the shelf, alone... with a melody that might just help you through it.

Within about three listens of the album, Goodbye Pisces had risen to near the top of my favourite songs, and it's stayed there ever since. Please, dear God, get it on the radio so more people have a chance to agree with me.

3 Comments:

At 9:04 am, Blogger Mary said...

Hello Aquarius. ;)

2 questions that have nothing to do with this post:

1. Are ya gonna link Carly or what? I want to keep moving down my blogroll one blog to the next, without stopping, darnit!... :P

2. Have you considered putting up a tagboard to avoid useless comments like this? ;)

 
At 12:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO! Oh, geez...

Sorry. This post is pretty useless, too.

 
At 2:58 pm, Blogger Mary said...

LMAO! I'm reading these comments all over again now that you've put them all up at the forum and I hadn't seen Carly's comment before.

We are both total nerds!

(Uh, by 'both' I mean me and Carly, of course.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home