Friday, January 07, 2005

The thrill of the new: No.3

Pop is not dead.

Maroon 5 are keeping the flame alive with Songs about Jane. Someone out there will disagree with me, I'm sure, about both the classification and the merits. But to me this album is proof that slick, radio-friendly sing along songs can be good. More than good, let's replace that with wonderful.

By no means is it a perfect album. The lyrics are sometimes serviceable rather than inspired, and a few songs don't live up to their surroundings - "Through With You" in particular strikes me as something of a misstep. But on the plus side of the ledger, the first verse of "Harder to Breathe" is absolutely electrifying, "She Will Be Loved" and "Secret" are two of the most magical mid-tempo ballads I can think of and "Sunday Morning" positively BEGS for me to clap along with it, and smile at the same time.

If you can sit still through this album, I want to know how you do it, because just now I was dancing all over the house. And I don't dance easily. As long as Maroon 5 and various incarnations of No Doubt are around, I'll believe in pop music.

And blow me over if some of Jane's songs aren't rather sexy as well...

1 Comments:

At 10:17 am, Blogger Mary said...

Note to Aussie blogowner who has a high rate of American readers:You cannot say "blow me over" and "rather sexy" in the same sentence.

No.

No, no. You just can't.

(LMAO, I missed that last line the first time I read this entry, I think)

You're cute. ;P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home