Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Thrill 4-10: It's right to be wrong {Cars and Guitars}

My reaction to Cars and Guitars almost reads like a thematic rerun of my reaction to The Power of Orange Knickers. Um, I do know how to link back to an old post, but frankly I can't be bothered so let me just reinvent the wheel here...

There's one thing about this song that should make me hate it. The verses. A more clunky set of lyrics I have never seen. If Tori Amos is imagining herself as a car, it's one that lurches violently as the gearbox tries to skip from 1st straight up to 3rd. The best word I can find to describe the verses is 'gauche'. I think I'd prefer arcane, imcomprehensible lyrics if this is the other option.

And yet, despite that, the song is pretty darn catchy. Tori's musical talents come to the rescue, above all in the chorus where the sudden leap to a higher register for "keep on driving" transforms the song at a stroke.

When it comes right down to it, I'd rather like a song than hate it given an opportunity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home