Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Thrill 4-12: Gnosticism 101 {Original Sinsuality}

From a 6-minute song that is too short, to a 2-minute song that packs more action in than it has any right to.

There's a theory out there, being pushed by Tori herself, that the entire Beekeeper album has a theme based on an alternative view of the gospel. I don't buy it. It's much easier to think of Ribbons Undone being about her daughter, of The Beekeeper being about her mother's illness, of Toast being about her brother, and of Cars and Guitars being about a woman making a slightly embarrassing attempt to impress her man.

It's clear though, that a couple of songs do relate to Tori's readings of and about other interpretations of Scripture that died out in the early history of the church, primarly gnosticism. 'Gnosis' means knowledge (or secret knowledge), and Original Sinsuality has a character urging to eat of the tree of knowledge, which in traditional Judeo-Christian thought is a disastrous course of action.

A little digging in the right places (thank you, Google) will reveal that Sophia, Yalbadoath, Saklas and Samael are all pulled straight from the gnostic literature - the first being God's mother and the other three all being names for God. Except the God who created this material world is a dark being, one to be escaped from.

Refuting the heresy of Gnosticism was one of the main drivers of Christian writers in the first couple of centuries of the church, which led to things like the Nicene Creed. But I digress, this is a music topic not a theological one.

Original Sinsuality basically falls into three sections, and at first I had different reactions to each of them. I guess I still do, really. So, bear with me while I dissect a small song into even smaller pieces.

Section One: The Setup

In the beginning... quite literally. The first section of the song is a great introductory passage for the 'sermon', the ideas part. It's very factual - where (the garden, I mean THE Garden), when (before THE Fall), who (the original mother, Sophia), what (the tree, the fruit). And then the first idea, "you must eat". Everything is set up nicely.

Section Two: The...

The pause? The glib play on words? The wasted space?

To be fair, I don't feel quite like that about the middle of the song any more, I'm just recording my initial reactions, but it still seems such a shame that this section is a bit weak. Misspelling words to play on them has never been a favourite trick with me. The philosophical point of the song could have been made just as well by contrasting 'sin' with 'sensuality'. We all would have recognized the closeness of the sound without forcing the issue.

Perhaps the most irritating thing, though, is the girlish tone that suddenly enters Tori's voice here. Oh, look, aren't I clever! Yes, dear, you are, but in Australia at least we don't particularly like people who draw attention to their cleverness. Do a Google on 'tall poppies' and you'll see what I mean.

Section Three: The Payoff

I forgive everything when she utters the word "Yalbadoath" like some priestess of a mysterious cult.

She is of course helped by some well-applied reverberation, but she's the producer so I can credit her with that touch of brilliance as well. From here to the end of the song, with the great repeated cry of "You are not alone", is one of her best vocal performances in the studio ever. It's seared across my brain, asking me to give in to darkness.

It's proof of the power of this tiny section of music that I find myself adoring it despite all of the (considerable) reservations I have about the theology here. I've almost never been fond of Tori's theology (remind me to discuss one day how difficult it is for most people to comprehend that, I, a Christian whose beliefs border on what might be called fundamentalist, can be so in love with the music of someone who invests a lot of time in trying to shock fundamentalist Christian sensibilities), but the musical power on display during the last third of Original Sinsuality is, to my ears, simply undeniable.

3 Comments:

At 1:37 am, Blogger Mary said...

Ok, so far, this is my most I-agree-with-every-single-word-you-typed review. Not that agreement with you is some kind of requirement to enjoy your reviews, I'm just saying. ;)

A couple quick notes:

- I think Cars and Guitars is more than "slightly" embarrassing and I'm waiting for the day when I can hear it and not cringe in at least 4 different places during the song. (Places in the song, not places on me! Well, maybe both. Heh)

- The cutesie/girlish tone of Tori's voice in this song in that middle part sort of threw me at first. It seemed sandwiched between a very serious and storytelling opening and that fantastic intense closing and I wasn't much a fan of it, either. But I agree that I can "forgive" it because of the beginning and ending. Talk about wanting to take the meat out of a sandwich! It sort of just flows along for me now and I eat around it. ;)

- Totally agree with the preference for 'sensuality' over 'sinsuality'. When it was announced that she was naming the tour the Original Sinsuality tour it bothered me even more. Again, now I'm just used to it. Somehow my brain can say "Oh, that Tori" just as easily as "OH! That Torrrrri!"

- The "Yalbadoath" part and the reverberation rock my socks off. As does the "you are not alone in your darkness". And, speaking from a live-Tori angle, there WAS something really stunning about her opening the show with this song and particularly that line as we all sat in the darkness to watch her, together. I loved that.

I see you've been a busy boy. I'm off to read about Ireland now... Let's see what else I might agree with. ;)

 
At 5:07 am, Blogger Shari said...

I thought this song hinted at the Gnostic gospels, so I'm glad you confirmed it. My brother-in-law believes in Gnosticism, so I've learned a bit about it over the last few years. When I read your last paragraph, I almost "whooped" because I've had this conversation with a quite a few people over the last 10 years. Brent and I have discussed this subject many times. We're baffled by all the Christians who don't understand how we can be fundamentalist Christians and still appreciate, and even love, the artistic ability of people who seem to go against Christianity. I'm able to listen to music, or view art that might be obscene to some Christians and enjoy it to the fullest. It doesn't compromise my beliefs. If anything, it makes them stronger. I definitely think there's something to "guarding your heart" but I think each person has to decide what that means for themselves, and just because another Christian is filled with fear at nudity in art or philosophy in music doesn't mean that I need to be.

While I was making lunch, I watched Tori on a 2003 Isaac Mizrahi Show, and she talked about when she was young, being "in the living room with a bishop, and a reverend and other religious people and you're having to play hymns and you can't escape, what do you do? You start making up songs that they can't get in to. So you don't leave the room, but your soul does. It's like Alice in Wonderland but sonically." I felt sad for her, because I can relate to being hurt by people in the name of religion, and feeling oppressed by them. But I also felt sad for her because there's another alternative to freeing yourself from that oppression, besides the one of leaving your faith or twisting it into something unrecognizable.

I love Original Sinsuality, despite it diverging from my own beliefs. "Yalbadoath" gives me chills every time I hear it. And I ADORE the "you are not alone in your darkness" part because that's been one of my personal proverbs for years. It was so exhilarating to hear this song for the first time recently after I heard Mary quote that phrase on her blog. I have experienced the love and support of my friends and family to a great degree over the last 10 years, and have given many hours of listening and encouragement to various people. To let people into my darkness has been one of the most valuable experiences of my life so far. And to hear Tori confirm that we are not alone in our darkness makes me blissful. I can't believe I haven't owned any Tori albums before now. Brent is still to be won over, but that's okay, we have differing musical tastes in certain areas. I've always loved female singers who take me to another place (Sarah McLachlan, Loreena McKennitt, Over the Rhine) and Tori definitely does that. I get lost in her songs.

Mary, I don't enjoy Cars and Guitars very much. I'm not sure what parts you cringe at, but it's one of my least favorite songs on the album.

 
At 12:47 pm, Blogger Mary said...

Amen, Shar. ♥

 

Post a Comment

<< Home