Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Excuse me, but can I be you for a while?

The profound nature of that line, the very first in the song that properly introduced Tori Amos to much of the world, hit me tonight in a way it never had before.

How many people are out there longing to be someone else, because being themselves is too painful?

How many people try to be someone else simply because they don't know who they are? Try to gain completeness from someone else because they themselves are distorted or broken in their sense of self?

Tonight, God came and promised to tell me who I was. I'm not going to go into the details of how that experience came about, but it's worth recording that resolution. If I pay attention over the coming weeks, months...

I'm going to stop being someone else.

1 Comments:

At 3:46 am, Blogger Mary said...

What a wonderfully honest post.

There's another lyric that makes me think of the same thing, but it's by Dave Matthews Band:

I find sometimes it's easy to be myself
Sometimes I find it's better to be somebody else.


I think you're right, too many of us prefer to be someone else because it's easier/less painful/whatever than being ourselves.

Paying attention is no simple task.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home