Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Thrill 4-13: Let's go genre-hopping {Ireland}

Sandwiched in between the two most serious points in the Beeekeeper album is a silly little song that might just be one of the most subversive things Tori ever wrote.

I think the reason why this song has mystified so many people, me included, is that we tried to take it seriously. When really what we should have been doing is enjoying the break being offered to our brains. We should have spent the time bopping our head from side to side, grinning inanely.

I've completely given up trying to analyze the lyrics, and I'm enjoying Ireland a lot more as a result. I think it was a wise decision. The verses are easily the weirdest and most cryptic of the entire album in my opinion. I've no doubt, this being Tori, that there is some hidden meaning for her buried down below, but she hasn't been this odd since Boys for Pele. And we all know that driving to Ireland makes no sense. That was the first clue, really, that we should be focusing on the music.

Which is almost as bizarre, but rather catchy once you've stopped choking on your breakfast. As best I can figure out, Tori Amos has gone where no sane musician has dared to venture and created a brand new musical style: Celtic Reggae.

Yes, I told you it was bizarre, weren't you listening?

It comes complete with a group of backing Toris singing "sha na na na" at every opportunity. I'm reminded again of Wendy Matthews, who I think of as the singer most likely to maintain her dignity while singing something like "sha na na na" (I'm sure she's done it, in fact, but the song title won't leap to mind). Tori comes perilously close to losing her dignity, but walking close to the edge of the cliff is not the same as falling off it.

5 Comments:

At 1:43 am, Blogger Mary said...

LOL, I swear I hadn't read THIS review yet before I commented on your last one and talked about sandwiches. Weird.

Anyway, "Celtic Reggae" is a perfect description.

I actually can get into the music of this song quite well, and Sean and Alison also enjoy it. Even the sha-na-nas are becoming less annoying to me. But the placement of such a whimsical/silly song on this album (like you mentioned already, it's between 2 more serious songs) keeps making me upset when I listen to it. I know, I'm a big whiner, but I don't like the ordering of the tracks here. Am I getting used to the ordering? Yes. But I still don't like it!

 
At 5:24 am, Blogger Shari said...

I don't like the ordering either. It reminds me of why I don't like listening to CDs on random play. I don't like listening to a serious song and then a funny song, etc. I tend to like listening to one album at a time, especially when the artist does a good job with song order. I don't like Ireland coming after Sinsuality because it jars me out of the mood that I was in during Sinsuality.

 
At 12:44 pm, Blogger Mary said...

Hi-fives Shari. ;) ♥

 
At 10:38 pm, Blogger orfeo said...

It's interesting that the two of you don't like the contrast between songs. I rather LIKE dramatic contrasts sometimes, and I think it's to do with the overall feel of the album. Tori does focused, coherent albums and she does more 'scattered' ones. To me The Beekeeper is definitely of the 'scattered' variety, so by the time I got this far I was prepared for dramatic changes.

Whereas (and I think I've mentioned this to Mary before) Beth Orton's "Daybreaker" irks me a bit because the first four songs set this absolutely gorgeous tone, and then track five seems to go off in a completely different direction. And then 6 and 7 go somewhere different again. I like my coherent albums to STAY coherent. The Beekeeper is never coherent, so the bigger the contrast the better.

 
At 5:53 pm, Blogger Shari said...

Hmmmm . . . that's an interesting way of looking at it. I've never thought about it that way before. I think that will actually help me in the future to not be disappointed by the change in mood during an album, but rather, for me to think about whether or not it's a coherent or incoherent album. There are some CDs that really bother me and I think it's exactly what you're talking about, but since I don't tend to analyze what I'm listening to that much, I haven't thought about that angle. I tend to analyze my emotional life to death, but not my musical life. I'm learning something from you. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home